Historical Society of Temple City

5954 Kauffman Ave., Temple City, CA 91780

(626) 451-0833  /   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

HSTC museum outside front

The Woman's Club of Temple City was organized December 4,1925 in the home of Mrs. Samuel Lester. There were seven charter members, Mrs. W.J. Husong, Mrs. Ray Cromley, Mrs. Samuel Lester, Mrs. Harry Lester, Mrs. Raymond Swartz, and Mrs. Charles Tandy. Their objective was to promote cultural and philanthropic work among its members and to develop interest in civic, social and educational areas of the community.

Mrs. Tandy the first president had to move away before her term was completed. Mrs. McNab finished the term and was elected for the following year. Walter Temple, Sr., founder of Temple City needed help in attracting residence to his new area. Under these two presidents we now enjoy today their efforts in helping Mr. Temple to have the red car continue its run from Alhambra to Temple City which brought rural mail delivery from Los Angeles to Temple City. They also canvassed for telephone service; assisted on committees working on building a new school; sponsored a Girl Scout troop, and collaborated with all organizations in Temple City. Between 1926 and 1929 the group grew in number. They talked about having a club house of their own. They started a building fund by having bake sales, silver teas and parties. It was during this time that they began decorating the community Christmas tree, under the direction of Mrs. Husong and Mrs. Dunlap. This was continued for many years until the city merchants took this annual event over.

In 1929 the club became a member of the General Federation of Women's Clubs which was founded in 1890 by Jennie June Croly. This is the largest and oldest nondenominational, nonpartisan, international volunteer service organization of women in the world. It has a membership of ten million in forty-five countries. The General Federation was chartered in 1901 and the headquarters are located in Washington, D.C.. The archives contain hundreds of linear feet of records dating from 1890 to the present with special collections devoted to women's history with an emphasis on women in volunteerism.

In 1931 they purchased a lot on the corner of Kauffman and Woodruff under Mrs. F. M. Van Houten's presidency. The club membership was divided into eight groups, one for each month of the club year, each serving a luncheon and having one fund project. This plan was in effect for several years and enabled the club to purchase this lot. Money was not plentiful in those years but the club enjoyed a profitable year and was able to pay the remaining amount due on their lot.

Hall Use


The 1940's Historical Society HALL is AVAILABLE!

tchistorical hall lft

tchistorical hall rt

The 1940's Historical Society Hall is available for the following types of activities:

  • Art Shows
  • Business luncheons, dinners and sales meetings
  • Craft Shows
  • Dance Groups, Schools
  • Fund Raisers
  • Memorials
  • Recitals


For more information: call (626) 451-0833    

* Leave NAME and PHONE # ... slowly, Thank you.


This is a Museum Owned Building by The Historical Society of Temple City, Inc.